Pittsburgh "Paid Sick Days Act".
Guidelines for Administering Pittsburgh City Code Chapter 626, "Paid Sick Days Act". (Updated Notice - 12.17.19)
- The Pittsburgh PA Sick Leave will be added as a standard sick leave in the accruals.
- The sick plan will accrue at .0286 per hour for 1.001 hours per 35 hours worked.
- DRM when an employee tries to use accrual plan prior to 90 days employed.
- The employer is required to keep the balance of the sick plan for 6 months. After that, they may set the accrued time to 0 for the employee.
- The employer is not required to pay out any unused sick time.
- There is a yearly limit of 40 hours.
- There is a carryover limit of 40 hours.
- The plan defaults to the Anniversary date.
Common questions and answers:
Q: Can the employee use any of the sick leave prior to the 90-day probation period?
A: Yes, the employer may override the DRM regarding using prior to the 90 days.
Q: Why did they not accrue the correct amount?
A: There are a couple of reasons:
- The employee accrual is not setup correctly.
- The employee has reached the yearly maximum.
- The employee has multiple assignments with some outside the city of Pittsburgh.
Q: Do I have to offer the sick leave if I already offer another PTO/Sick leave plan.
A: Per the documentation you do NOT need to offer the Pittsburgh Sick Leave as long as you offer an accrual plan that matches or exceeds the minimums of the Pittsburgh Sick Leave ordinance.
Q: Can I use a front-loaded plan? ex. Give my employees 40 hours of sick leave at the start of the effective year.
A: Yes, you may setup a sick leave plan with a starting balance of 40 hours. These plans should be set to not accrue on any transaction types.
Q: Do I have to allow carry over for any used hours if I offer a front-loaded plan?
A: Per the documentation you do not need to allow carry over when front-loading a sick leave.
Q: I (customer) don’t agree with the setup, can I change it.
A: Avionte does the best it can to determine the requirements. You (the customer) can change or update the configuration of the plan. You cannot update the name or description.
Q: What should I use as my deplete transaction type:
A: I recommend creating a specific Pittsburgh, PA sick leave transaction type. ex. ‘Pitts PA Sick Leave’
Q: Can I have the sick leave automatically add to an employee when they work in Pittsburgh?
A: You can have the sick leave automatically be added to an employee who doesn’t have the sick plan after March 15th when they work in Pittsburgh, PA
The instructions to set that up are here: