The meeting host may send the link within an Outlook invitation or a direct email.
- A few minutes before the meeting is scheduled to begin, click the link provided and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Select Join with Computer Audio. If you are experiencing bandwidth issues you may need to dial in to the meeting.
Best practice: Join with Computer Audio.
- If you are the first person joining the meeting, you will see a Zoom window. If others are present, you may see the gallery. The meeting host may have set attendees to be muted on entry and video on or off. Place your mouse at the bottom of the window to view the options available.
- If the Microphone and/or Video icons in the lower left have a line through them they are in the off position. Attendees can mute/unmute and turn the video on/off, simply click the icon. While muted you may comment by holding down the space bar on your keypad, release when finished speaking and you are returned to mute.
Best practice: Turn video on and remain muted when you are not the speaker.
- If this is your first time attending a zoom meeting, or if you are not familiar with your equipment, it is recommended that you join early and test your audio. Open the menu (^) located to the right of the Microphone icon. Select Test Speaker and Microphone.
Best practice: Test your audio before joining a call.
- Switch between Gallery View and Speaker View in the upper right corner of the screen.
- If you would like to use a virtual background, open the menu (^) located to the right of the Video icon. Select Virtual Background.
• Choose your virtual background by selecting a stock photo or click the + symbol and add an image from your computer. The virtual background works best if your physical background is simple. You may need to select the dominant color in your physical background to improve the virtual background.
Best practice: Use a workplace appropriate background image.
- To change your display name, hover over your image block and click the three dots (…) in the upper right. Note that your name is visible to all attendees.
Best practice: Use your name and add your title if desired.
Participation During the Meeting
- Chat: Use the Chat icon to type a message during the meeting. Note that your message is visible to all attendees. Send a private message by selecting someone from the Everyone drop-down menu.
- Raise your Hand: Use the Participation icon to raise your hand answer yes/no and more.
- Applause: Use the Reactions icon to give a virtual thumbs up or applause.
- Share: If you are asked to share your screen, load the image you are to share (preferably on your second monitor). Click the Share Screen icon and select which screen to share from the pop-up window. Stop sharing by selecting the Stop Share from the presenter’s menu at the top of your shared screen.
- Leave: To leave the meeting, click the Leave Meeting button in the lower right. The Zoom window will close. If the meeting is over the organizer will end the meeting closing the Zoom window.