- Open your Zoom account.
- Select the Meetings option.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting.
This will open the scheduler window.
- Select your meeting settings. Descriptions are listed on the next page.
Important notes and best practices:
- Recurring meeting: Set up your recurring options in Outlook before sending the invitation.
- Video best practice: Set both Host and Participant to Off.
- Audio best practice: Set to Both (Telephone and Computer Audio).
- Meeting Options best practice: Set Mute participants upon entry.
- Additional default settings: Click here for details.
5. Click Save to finish.
Your screen populates with your chosen meeting settings.
- Best practice: Create and save a meeting template with polls, customized waiting room, add attendees to waiting room, mute attendees on entry, automatically start recording, etc. Use this template when scheduling future meeting.
6. Click the Outlook Calendar button to add the meeting to your calendar.
7. Open the .ics file which is downloaded to your computer.
8. Add title, recurrences, and reminder.
9. Add others to your meeting and send the invitation from Outlook.
10. If you need to cancel a meeting: When cancelling a Zoom meeting in Outlook it is only cancelled there, you will want to delete the meeting from your Zoom account as well. Likewise, if a meeting is deleted from Zoom, you will want to cancel the meeting in Outlook.
Topic: Enter a topic or name for your meeting.
Description: Enter your meeting description (optional).
Start: Select a date and time for your meeting. You can start your meeting at any time before the scheduled time.
Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. This is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use your computer's time zone. Click the drop-down menu to select a different time zone.
Recurring meeting: Choose if you would like a recurring meeting (the meeting ID will remain the same for each session). A section opens allowing you to set up the occurrences. Choose the Recurrence, Repetition and End date.
Registration: Requires attendees to register for meeting. Allows questions to be asked of registrants.
Meeting ID: Select either Generate Automatically or Personal Meeting ID
Require meeting password: You can select and input your meeting password here. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
Note: Passwords are case sensitive and can have 10 characters maximum.
- Host: Choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participant: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you turn off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
Audio: Choose whether to allow users to call in via Telephone only, Computer Audio only, or Both. Set global dial-in countries if needed.
Enable join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) users if 3 or more people join the meeting.
Mute participants on entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute participants as they join the meeting. Participants can unmute themselves after joining the meeting.
Note: To mute all participants while in a meeting, use the option under Manage Participants.
Enable waiting room: Holds your attendees in a virtual waiting room until you allow their entry to the meeting. The waiting room image allows for some basic customization. The waiting room and join before host cannot both be enabled.
Only authenticated users can join: Only those with a Zoom account can join.
Record the meeting automatically: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded. Select if you want it to be recorded locally (to your computer) or to the cloud (zoom.us/recording). Only recordings save to the cloud can be automatically transcribed.
Alternative hosts: Enter the email address of another Zoom user who is licensed on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence.