Avionté has implemented a new standard export and AQ to allow for the use of SSNVS. The SSNVS is one of the services offered by the Social Security Administration's (SSA) Business Services Online (BSO). It allows registered users (employers and certain third-party submitters) to verify the names and Social Security Numbers (SSNs) of employees against SSA records.
With SSNVS, you may:
- Verify up to 10 names and SSNs online and receive immediate results. There is no limit to the number of times the SSN Verification web page may be used within a session.
- Upload electronic files of up to 250,000 names and SSNs and usually receive results the next government business day.
- While the service is available to all employers and third-party submitters, it can only be used to verify current or former employees and only for wage reporting (Form W-2) purposes.
Why Should I Verify Names and SSNs Online?
- Correct names and SSNs on W-2 wage reports are the keys to the successful processing of your annual wage report submission.
- It's faster and easier to use than submitting your requests paper listings or using Social Security's telephone verification option.
- Results in more accurate wage reports.
- Saves processing costs and reduces the number of W-2c's.
- Allows Social Security to give the proper credit to your employees' earnings records, which will be important information in determining their Social Security benefits in the future.
Register for SSNVS
- Registration is required through Business Services Online. Third-party preparers need only register once in their own firm's name. Complete the registration form and select your own password. Social Security will verify your identity against our records and display a User ID. Make note of the User ID, password, and expiration date.
- Request access and activation code – Return to the Business Services Online page and login with your User ID and password. Select "Request Access and Activation Code."
- Activation code is mailed to your employer – Your employer should give you the activation code which allows you access to SSNVS.
- Log in to use the service – Go to the Business Services Online page, select Login, input your User ID, password and activation code and you will be able to use the service.
Avionté SSNVS Export
The export pulls employee data for employees who are actively assigned under the selected Staffing Supplier in the parameter value drop-down list. The export file needs to be uploaded to the SSA via its Business Services Online portal.
The SSNVS export can be run from the Weekly Process main menu > Import/Export tab. Note, report access required to be configured prior to export. Review set-up process, here.
Steps to Run an Export
- Select the SSNVS Export feed.
- Select the Staffing Supplier parameter value.
- Browse for where the file should be exported to.
- Click Process File.
- Confirm Export Data Generated. Exported as .txt file.
Upload File to SSNVS
Follow the instructions below to upload a file containing names and SSNs to be verified by the SSA. The results are usually available the next government business day.
STEP 1: Point your browser to the BSO Welcome page: www.socialsecurity.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm.
STEP 2: Select the Login button on the BSO Welcome page. The system displays the Log In to Online Services page.
STEP 3: Enter your User ID and password.
STEP 4: Select the Social Security Number Verification Service link.
STEP 5: Select the Submit an Electronic File for SSN Verification link.
STEP 6: Select SSNVS Export file from your local or network directory by selecting the Browse button. When the file submission box appears, select the location and name of the file you want to upload. When you select OK and return to Submit a File for SSN Verification - Submit Your File web page, the file name is automatically entered in the Select File data entry field.
STEP 7: Once the Select File data entry field is complete, select the Submit button to begin uploading your file. Your file submission is complete when the Submit a File for SSN Verification - Confirmation web page is displayed.
STEP 8: After the Submit button has been selected, you will see a dialog box showing the process of your file being uploaded. When the file upload is complete, you will receive a pop-up box stating "Your file submission was successful" and a recommendation to save or print the acknowledgment.
SSNVS Import & Results AQ
Import - The verification results file is downloadable from the Status and Retrieval Results web page on the SSA website. The import updates the verification status of each employee that was previously exported to the SSA.
Results AQ - Once the verification results file is imported, the results can be viewed from the SSNVS Results AQ.
For more detailed information regarding Avionté SSNVS set-up, export, import & results AQ – Reference our Knowledge Base article - Social Security Number Verification Services (SSNVS) Feeds and Reports.